You can be sure your students are counting the days until Thanksgiving break. It’s been a busy semester!
Before I get into some logistical information about the break, I would like to wish you and your family a happyThanksgiving. I think I’m speaking for everyone here when I say that we are very thankful for this wonderful Longwood community we all share. We care deeply about providing your student with a college experience that prepares them for a successful and meaningful life as a citizen leader.
If your student lives in Longwood-managed housing and is staying on campus during the break, they need to fill out an Intent to Stay form, which is available through the Student Housing Gateway.
It’s important to note that any student who needs access to their residence between 6 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 22, and noon Sunday, Nov. 27, must fill out an Intent to Stay form—even if they won’t be on campus for that entire time.
The Intent to Stay form must be submitted no later than 11:59 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 21.
If your student lives in Longwood-managed housing and is coming home for the holidays, they should be sure to do the following before departing campus:
—Remove all trash and perishable food.
—Thoroughly clean their assigned living area, including the bathroom and common spaces.
—If applicable, adjust their room thermostat to a low/medium setting.
—Take valuables and important items with them (medication, eyeglasses, wallet, etc.).
—Shut down and unplug all electronics, except personal refrigerators or apartment appliances.
—Turn off all lights.
—Close and lock all windows.
—Lower all window blinds/shades.
—Lock all doors.
If your student lives in Moss or Johns hall, you will be able to load and unload vehicles on Spruce Street for the break. Pickup is set for 8 a.m.-8. p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 22; drop off is noon- 8 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 27. Similar to August move-in and fall break, please be sure to access Spruce Street by taking Wynne Drive to Pine Street and then turn onto the sidewalk in front of the Fitness Center. You will not be able to turn onto Spruce Street from the entrance across from McDonald’s; that access is closed for construction.
If your student asks, please let them know they should not cancel any academic or other personal obligations during the time there will be limited access to Longwood-managed housing. Instead, they should fill out the Intent to Stay form.
Below is some additional important information about the break that has been shared with students.
- All residential communities will remain locked (24/7) during the break. Students who filled out the Intent to Stay form will continue to have access to their assigned buildings through the card reader(s) on their building (where applicable).
- The dining hall will close after dinner on Tuesday, Nov. 22, and re-open for dinner on Sunday, Nov. 27. Regular hours of operation resume on Monday, Nov. 28. Up-to-date hours and information for all other Longwood Dining-managed food venues can be found at https://longwood.campusdish.com/ .
- Farmville Area Bus service (FAB) will end at 5 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 22, and will resume at 1 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 27. There is no bus service for travel to Lancer Park during the break period.
- Residence hall rooms and apartments are subject to entry during the break; limited work orders and/or facility safety inspections could occur.
- Campus offices will be closed Nov. 23-25.
- For general assistance from Campus Police during the break, students can all 434-395-2091. In case of emergency, students should call 911. Students who need help with a non-life-threatening medical issue can call the Nurse Advice Line at 805-858-3117.